Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ireland's Own: O'Hara's Celtic Stout




For those of us who love a good Irish or dry stout, every day is St. Patrick's Day. While many will be getting their drink on Saint Patrick's Day, I don't need that as an excuse to enjoy a good stout. I'm a big Guinness drinker from way back, but I don't drink bottled Guinness Stout anymore. The reason I don't is bottled Guinness for the North American market is contract brewed in Toronto, Canada. I'm sure that is a decent enough beer, but if I want the real thing in the bottle, as well as on draught? I go with the newly arrived, legendary Guinness Foreign Extra Stout or a pint at my local Irish pub.
My favorite bottled Irish stout these days is O'Hara's Celtic Stout from the Carlow Brewing Company of Bagenalstown, County Carlow, Ireland. This beer is a phenomenal example of the style. I am a pretty seasoned stout drinker, and this beer impressed me to say the least. At the time it seemed like heresy to even suggest it, but beer made me forget all about Guinness stout. If you want a fantastic bottled Irish stout brewed in Ireland? Look no further.
O'Hara's Celtic Stout pours to a beautiful, deep ebony color, with a creamy white head, and a moderate carbonation. The nose is just packed with aromas of dark malt and roast. Aromas of dark chocolate, coffee, roasted barley, and grassy hops invite you in to take a sip. The palate is firm, with outstanding flavors of dark malts, chocolate, coffee and roast. This beer dark chocolate flavors up front then ends with a bone dry, roasty and bitter finish that lingers.
This is a truly exceptional example of Irish stout. I can not overstate how impressive the bottled version of this beer is. It might be the most impressive of all the bottled Irish stouts on the market today. If more pubs started to carry this one on draught as well, O'Hara's Celtic Stout would be my stout of choice from now on. This beer is Ireland. This is a great drinking beer, one you will want to drink a few of. It works very well with shell fish, and red meats, or even burgers and pub grub. For more information visit the brewery's site at: http://www.carlowbrewing.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment